Since Facebook is the social networking site I use most often –
and therefore have the most information available on it – I chose to read their
privacy policy.
Facebook’s privacy policy is categorized, making it much easier
than others to read and find exactly the information you are searching
for. Facebook’s policy on how my
information is used, varies according to what kind of information it is, and
what my settings are for that information.
Certain pieces of information are always publicly available: name,
profile and cover photo, network, gender, user name and user ID.
Facebook clearly states that I own all of my information. This is an important distinction, as there
have been previous issues with Facebook and other sites’ policies stating that they
own all information submitted.
Facebook uses my information to tailor ads relevant to me, provide
me with location features and services, make suggestions on content (such as
apps or tags), as well as other uses.
Facebook has their own “page” for security that contains resources
on keeping your information safe. However,
I really had to search for information on what Facebook would do if there were
a security breach, and it seems my efforts were futile. I could not find anywhere in their privacy
policy that stated what they would do if there were a security breach. At first, I was perplexed. However, after thinking about it, there are so
many possible scenarios for a security breach, that if they had to list exactly
what they would do in each case – that would make an already long policy
infinite! They do state that they make
every effort to keep my information safe, but that (of course) nothing is a
guarantee.
No comments:
Post a Comment